Price Shop Mortuaries At-a-glance:
FCA of Utah Fall 2013 Newsletter
Award Winning Movie that Inspires Re-examining Our Funeral Culture:
Welcome to FCA of Utah!
We are a non-profit, all-volunteer run organization.
Our mission is to provide Utahans with the knowledge and tools they need to carry out meaningful, dignified and affordable funerals.
Why do we care? We are hoping that more funerals will reflect the family's deepest values instead of the values of a business industry. This in turn will reduce shame associated with spending less and increase the value of the funeral as a deeply meaningful and cathartic experience.
FCA of Utah is an affiliated member of the national Funeral Consumers Alliance.
#1 Advice: Do NOT automatically hire the mortuary closest to your house. It is unnecessary. It is nothing for Funeral Directors to drive. If you knew you could save $2K by hiring a mortuary one town or one county away wouldn't you do it?
Utah Funerals In The News
-A KUTV channel 2 news article below the broadcast on Nov 17th 2013 reported that the families of two teens who died in South Jordan recently are in need of donations to pay for the funerals. FCA of UT reaches out to young families to tell them a funeral doesn't have to cost so much.
-An ABC channel 4 news story on Oct 6th 2013 reported that a Bountiful family bought a $14K funeral 10 yrs ago and are now begging on the streets in order to finish paying the last $900 so they could get a memorial stone placed.
-A SL Tribune article mentioned Funeral Consumers Alliance of Utah Oct 3rd 2013 sin talking about home funerals.
-An ABC News story reported Oct 2nd 2013 that the body of an Ogden man that died of a brain disease was refused by several funeral homes because the funeral directors were afraid.
These stories reconfirm FCA is needed in Utah!
Message from the President
The following may address your fears about someone caring for their own dead without a funeral director.
1) Utahans have the lawful right NOT to hire anyone a funeral director or to hire one to do just the death certificate if desired.
2) Dead bodies don’t harbor dangerous bacteria. Typical disease dies with the death of the body.
3) There's no need to freak out about the possibility of leaking bodily fluids. If it happens at all it's very minimal. What worked before death for that works after death as well.
4) You have 24hrs BEFORE the law requires that at least refrigeration to begin. Refrigeration at home is often accomplished using carefully placed dry ice.
5) You can handle loved one’s body in a modest way BEFORE death and you can do so after death too. There's no need for embarrassment.
6) If you own or can rent a van, SUV or truck and you know how to run a meeting then there is little reason to hire a funeral director.
Hopefully this assures you of your ability, or your neighbor's ability, to exercise the right to a frugal and fulfilling final goodbye.
Your Membership Supports
• Biennial Price Comparison survey of funeral dealerships throughout Utah
• Information on alternatives to pre-paying
• Advice about simple and do-it-yourself funeral and burial options
• Free phone help for everyone
• Website access
• A semi-annual newsletter
• A volunteer action network
• Availability in the future (we are very frugal with your money)
• Transferable membership to 92 FCA affiliates nationwide
Copyright © 2009 FCA of Utah. All rights reserved.